background

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Spring Flower Cookies

 spring flower cookies

Spring has finally arrived! Last weekend we had such beautiful weather and what better way to add some sunshine inside than making a colorful platter of flower shortbread cookies! Ok, I did get outside and enjoy the sunshine too...

For the cookies, I used the same dough as the Easter cookies (this shortbread cookie recipe from sweetopia). I also got the inspiration for this cookie from sweetopia. On the blog she made daisy cookies in which she made royal icing transfers.

First I made a template for my flower on a piece of wax paper, using edible marker, but looking back at it I could have just as easily drew it on a piece of paper and used a regular pen. I then suran wrapped over it to make it stay on the counter. I usually suran wrap my counter top to make a nice clean surface for me to work on...and it makes it so easy to clean up. Gotta love that costco suran wrap...it's practically endless!
Once I had my template. I cut out squares of wax paper for each flower and wiped some shortening on them so the flowers would easily come off. The wax paper is kind of opaque so the template shows thru nicely. I then piped the flowers on each piece of wax paper using pink, yellow, lavender and green royal icing. While the flowers were still wet I put a pearl sprinkle in the center of each one.
While the flowers were drying I piped a circle on the fluted circle cookies, leaving about a 1/8" border and filled with with white icing. Once the white set a little, I piped little dots with the correponding flower colors around the white circle to add a decorative touch. Then it was the moment of truth...I carefully peeled the flowers off the wax paper, piped a little icing on the back and adhered it to the center of the cookie.
With all the cookies together it looked like spring! It was so much fun making these and I really liked this technique of making icing transfers. Thanks again sweetopia!

4 comments:

  1. Looks and tasted great! Your photo skills are getting awesome. Nice work Bookie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, are you a hand model? Nice digits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute! perfect for spring! those would make cute cupcake decorations as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ipl bookie website pose a threat to the integrity of cricket. They exploit the excitement surrounding the tournament for illegal gambling activities. Such platforms undermine the spirit of fair play and tarnish the reputation of the sport. It's crucial for authorities to crackdown on these unethical practices to preserve cricket's integrity.

    ReplyDelete